St Catherine's Orphanage for Roman Catholic Girls, Druid's Cross, Liverpool, Lancashire
In around 1928, Liverpool's Roman Catholic Female Orphanage, formerly based at Falkner Street, Liverpool, moved out of the city centre into a property formerly known as 'Druid's Cross' on Druid's Cross Road, Woolton. The institution now adopted the name St Catherine's Orphanage for Roman Catholic Girls. The premises, originally a private residence, had been used from 1916 to 1919 as a Reformatory for Girls, and then been occupied by the Druid's Cross Hospital. The Orphanage was run by the Sisters of Notre Dame.
The School site is shown on the 1937 map below.
In 1956, the running of the Orphanage was taken over by the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul.
St Catherine's closed in 1971. The buildings have all been demolished with the exception of the original entrance lodge and the stable block which was formerly used as a laundry where the orphanage girls worked.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, 266 Woolton Road, Liverpool L16 8NF. Holdings unknown — contact the Archivist.
- Daughters Of Charity Of St Vincent De Paul, Provincial House, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1RE. (Archivist: Sister Bernadette Ryder DC) Has a few pages of a sacramental register (1956-70).
- The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU.
File BN 62/3111 — Reports of visits (1963-71).
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.