St Edward's Orphanage, Liverpool, Lancashire
St Edward's Orphanage was established in 1903 at Thingwall Lane, Broad Green, Liverpool. It was run by the Brothers of Charity and could accommodate up to 300 Roman Catholic boys
The location of the home is shown on the 1927 map below.
Boys at the home were taught various manual skills such as carpentry and shoe-making.
From around 1914, the home had its wind band. The band allowed boys to develop their musical skills and also performed at local events such as fetes.
The orphanage closed in 1956 and many of the orphanage buildings have since been demolished. The site is still occupied by the Brothers of Charity and now provides a residential care home and other social support services.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.