Walton Road Day Industrial School, Liverpool, Lancashire
The Walton Road Day Industrial School was originally opened in 1878 at 2 Major Street, Kirkdale, where it operated until the poor state of its premises led to its closure in 1907. The School then transferred to a newly erected building at 35 Walton Road, a site formerly occupied by the St Mary Industrial School for Girls which had closed in 1903 and then been demolished.
Now known as the Walton Road Day Industrial School, the establishment was formally certified to commence operation on October 9th, 1907, with accommodation for up to 300 children, aged 5-12. Its official opening took place a few weeks later, on 18th November. The superintendent was Mr W. Gorrie who had transferred from the School's old premises.
Industrial training for the boys now included drawing, manual instruction and tailoring. For the girls there was knitting and needlework, with the older girls able to machine and making blouses for themselves. Cookery lessons were given weekly by a visiting teacher, and laundry work taught by the industrial mistress. Domestic economy included lessons in hygiene, and on the care of the baby. Physical training for the senior girls included Morris dancing. There were organised games for the juniors. The children spent a fortnight in camp in the summer. Many children were gaining swimming certificates.
Due to a decline in the numbers attending the School, it was closed on April 1st, 1921. The premises were later occupied by Walton Technical College, then by St John's Roman Catholic Junior Girls' School. The building no longer survives.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.