Female Mission to the Fallen Refuge, Anchorage House, London
The Anchorage Mission House, at 10 Loudoun Road, St John's Wood, London NW8, was established in 1878 as a Magdalen Home for "the reclamation of young women, otherwise respectable (lately fallen), whether or not about to become mothers." The home was one of the refuges operated by the Female Mission to the Fallen.
In addition to providing accommodation, the home aimed to be for spiritual benefit of the inmates. Endeavours were also made made to bring about a reconciliation between the young women and their friends, and also to obtain from the father of the child a guarantee for its future maintenance.
By 1890, a special annexe had been built for the reception of "young women of a better class", who had private rooms, and for whom special arrangements were made. No charge was made for the accommodation of girls from London refuges, but payment according to circumstances was requested from those from other sources.
By 1897, the home had moved to premises at 74 Jeffrey's Road, Clapham, London SW4. In around 1909, it took over the neighbouring property 76-78 Jeffrey's Road, previous occupied by the London and South-western Railway Servants' Orphanage.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Bartley, Paula Prostitution: Prevention and Reform in England, 1860-1914 (2000, Routledge)
- Finnegan, Frances Poverty and Prostitution: A Study of Victorian Prostitutes in York (1979, CUP)
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.