Spanish and Portuguese Jews' Orphan Society, London
The Spanish and Portuguese Jews' Orphan Society was founded in 1703 'For maintaining, clothing, housing, educating, and apprenticing orphan children of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews' congregation.' Its Hebrew title was 'Shaare Orah VeAve Yetumim' ('Gates of Light and Father of the Orphans'). The charity originally catered for fatherless boys but was later extended to include motherless girls.
The orphanage's first premises were at 10 Bevis Marks, next to the Bevis Marks Synagogue in London. In about 1890, it moved to 9 Howley Place, Maida Hill, London W9, but by 1907 was based at Lauderdale Road, Maida Vale. It had moved again by 1909, to 2 Ashworth Road, Maida Vale. In that year, there were four girls and eleven boys in the orphanage.
The orphanage was closed in 1940 and the building was used as a centre for the intellectual and social life of the Sephardi community.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.