St Vincent of Paul Shoeblack Brigade, Bloomsbury, London
St Vincent of Paul's Shoeblack Brigade was established in 1857 to provide employment for 50 Irish boys aged from 12 to 16. Around a dozen such enterprises were formed in London in the mid-nineteenth century, but St Vincent's was the only Roman Catholic one. The St Vincent boys plied their trade in the West End of London and wore a blue uniform with red cuffs and the initials S.V.P. on their arms.
The Brigade originally had its headquarters in Newton Street, Holborn, but was later based at 31 Queen Square, Bloomsbury. It is not clear whether the Brigade provided a residential home for its members.
The Brigade appears to have ceased operation by the 1880s.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.