Yorkshire Society's School, Lambeth, London
The Yorkshire Society's School was established in 1812 for 'educating, boarding, and clothing boys born in Yorkshire, or one of whose parents was born there, and whose parents were in a respectable line of life, and are either reduced by misfortune or dead.'
The charity rented a large house on Westminster Bridge Road, Lambeth, which was owned by the Magdalen Hospital. The building could accommodate up to 100 boys but due to lack of funds, the School rarely operated at full capacity.
Admission to the School was by through the election of its donors and subscribers. Candidates were required to be between 9 and 12 years of age on the day of election (third Wednesday in June). Inmates remained at the School until they were 15. No boy was eligible whose parents had received parochial relief. Certificates were required of the baptism of the boy or parent in Yorkshire, of his parents' marriage, of his age, health, and character, together with recommendations from two subscribers.
Subjects taught at the School included English, French, Latin, mathematics, drawing, vocal music, chemistry, and drill.
The School building underwent substantial alterations in 1885 but ongoing financial difficulties led to its closure in 1917. The premises were then occupied by the Britannia Club for Soldiers and Sailors until 1923. Morley College for Working Men and Women was then transferred there from the Old Vic Theatre. The building was destroyed by enemy action in October, 1940. Morley College's replacement building still occupies the site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.