Annesley Bank, Lyndhurst, Hampshire

In 1943, the Annesley Bank Barnardo's Home was opened at Pinkney Lane, Lyndhurst. The property had been donated to Barnardo's by the son of its previous owner, William Upton, who had died in 1939.

Initially, Annesley Bank was used as a home for boys aged from four to fourteen. It became a mixed home in 1953 and then from 1968 operated as a holiday venue for children for other homes.

The home closed in 1971 and the property was converted to flats.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
  • Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
  • Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
  • Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
  • Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)