Girls' Industrial School, Maidenhead, Berkshire
In 1882, an Industrial School for Girls was established at Boyn Hill, Maidenhead, by a local branch of the Ladies' Association for the Care of Friendless Girls. It was set up for the reception of the special class of girls provided by the Industrial Schools Amendment Act of 1880, namely those under 14 found to be living in a brothel, or living with or associating with common or reputed prostitutes. The School was officially certified to begin operation on March 23rd, 1882 and could accommodate 20 girls, aged 6 to 12 years.
The School premises consisted of two adjacent small houses which were linked together for the purpose, and which provided a good garden and playground.
In 1883, the Matron was Miss Brown, and the schoolmistress was Miss Thomas. The girls all learned sewing and knitting, with the older ones assisting in the kitchen and laundry, and in the general work of the house.
By 1885, the School was by superintended by Sister Harriet May of the Wantage Sisterhood, assisted by Miss Iliff, and with Miss MacDonald as schoolmistress.
In 1886, the School moved to larger premises at Langley Furze, near Slough.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.