Manchester and Salford Police Orphanage, Bowdon, Altrincham, Cheshire
The Manchester and Salford Police Orphanage was established in 1889. It took over the former premises of the Altrincham Industrial Home (No.2) at Ashley Road, Peel Causeway, Bowdon, which were loaned to rent-free by the Home's founder.
In around 1905, the Orphanage merged with Northern Police Orphanage at Harrogate, and the Bowdon premises were vacated.
The property later adopted the name St Baldred's Hall and from around 1925 until 2008 was home to the Hale Conservative Club. During the Second World War, a school evacuated from Guernsey was temporarily accommodated in the building.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.