St John's Home for Girls, Mildenhall, Suffolk

The St John's Home for Girls was established by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1883 at Beck House on St John's Street, Beck Row, near Mildenhall. The property, an old farmhouse with a large garden and orchard, was made available to the Society for only a nominal annual rent by the Rev. A.G. Livingstone.

St John's Home for Girls, Beck Row, Mildenhall, 1884. © Peter Higginbotham

On April 9th, 1884, the home was certified for the reception of 12 girls, aged from 7 to 12 years, placed there by the workhouse authorities. The girls were given a basic education and also trained for future employment in domestic service.

St John's Home for Girls, Beck Row, Mildenhall, 1906. © Peter Higginbotham

St John's Home for Girls, Beck Row, Mildenhall, 1903. © Peter Higginbotham

The home closed in 1907 and the girls transferred to the Society's new St Audrey's Home in Bedford.

Former St John's Home for Girls, Beck Row, Mildenhall, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

The Beck Row property now houses a local nursery.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.