Miss Mittendorff's Home for Destitute and Deserted Children, Kilburn, London
A home for destitute and deserted children was established in 1868 by Miss Dorette C. Mittendorff, who originally cam from Hanover, Germany, The Home, sometimes referred to as Miss Mittendorff's Kindergarten Home, occupied premises at Kilburn Square, Kilburn, London NW6 and could accommodate up to 75 girls aged from 3 to 8 years at their time of admission. The girls were generally trained for service and remained at the home till they were 16 or 17 when situations were found for them, and an outfit provided. No fee was demanded for entry, but donations were welcomed and, it was said, would probably facilitate admission. A medical certificate was required as to each girl's general good health on admission. Every case was thoroughly looked into as to whether it really was destitute or deserted.
By 1881, the Home had moved to new premises at Clayton House, 18 East Street, Epsom, Surrey, where it was referred to as the Kindergarten Training School for Domestic Servants.
At her retirement in 1896, at the age of 66, Miss Mittendorff donated the East Street property to Barnardo's who re-opened as a boys' home under the name Mittendorff House.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.