St Oswald's Home for Girls, Barrows Green, Natland, near Kendal, Westmorland

The St Oswald's Home for Girls was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1939 at Barrows Green, Natland, near Kendal. It was a wartime evacuation home for children from the St Oswald's Home for Girls at Cullercoats. The property was loaned to the Society by Major Arnold and Mrs Somervell.

The home closed in 1946 and the residents transferred to the St Agatha's Home at Princes Risborough.

Former St Oswald's Home for Girls, Natland, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.