Chadwick Memorial Industrial School for Roman Catholic Boys, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland

The Chadwick Memorial Industrial School for Roman Catholic Boys was opened in 1882 on Grandstand Road, Town Moor, Newcastle upon Tyne. Housed in a building that had formerly been the grandstand for the old town racecourse, the School was named after the recently deceased Bishop Chadwick of the Catholic Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle. On December 27th, 1882, the establishment was officially certified to accommodate 200 boys, aged from 7 to 16 years, who had been committed by magistrates to a period of detention.

The original building was used to provide staff quarters, offices, a chapel and an infirmary. Additions were made to provide dormitories, school rooms, wash rooms, refectory, kitchen and stores. The site also included some farm land and a well cultivated garden. The School's initial Director was the Rev. R.J. Franklin, assisted by the Rev. Philip Piper (or Pyper). Franklin appears to have soon departed, however, with Piper briefly taking his place. By 1885, Piper had retired because of ill health and the Rev. W Wickwar became Superintendent.

The Industrial Training provided for the boys included tailoring, shoemaking, joinery, firewood chopping, agricultural work and gardening. The boys also cultivated the land belonging to the nearby Ashburton House Industrial School for Roman Catholic Girls opened in 1884.

In 1905, the boys left Newcastle and moved to new premises at Stanwix, near Carlisle. The Grandstand Road site was subsequently used as an ice rink and later as factory accommodation for the aircraft and airship manufacturers Armstrong Whitworth. Part of the building still survives, now in use as a car showroom.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.

Bibliography

  • None noted at present.