Newcastle Diocesan Maternity Home, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland

The Newcastle Diocesan Maternity Home was established in 1920 at Elswick Lodge, 128 Park Road (now Park Close), Newcastle upon Tyne. The home received unmarried, expectant, first-time mothers, below the age of 25. Admission was largely restricted to those from within the Newcastle diocese, although spare places could also be offered to cases from outside at a charge of 10s. a week. Mothers typically entered from one to two months before confinement and stayed for two months afterwards. In 1953, the home could accommodate up to 20 mothers and 12 babies.

The premises also included a hostel for working pregnant girls.

In more recent times, the property — now known as Hawthorn House — has housed the Praxis charity, providing support for the social welfare and housing needs of people who are poor, suffering or recovering from mental health illness, alcoholism or chemical addictions.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • Northumberland Archives, Woodhorn, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland NE63 9YF. Has Baptism register (1952-69).

Bibliography

  • None noted at present.
  • No surviving local records identified at present.