Elswick House, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland

In 1920, a home for forty-one children was opened by the National Children's Home (NCH) at Elswick House, a large property on Elswick Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, that had been donated to the charity.

In around 1930, the home became known as the Lady Stephenson Home and in the early 1930s became a boys' home having previously been mixed.

The location of the home is shown on the 1937 map below.

Elswick House site, Newcastle upon Tyne, c.1936.

In 1954, the home moved to new premises at Stelling Hall, some fourteen miles to the west of Newcastle.

The Elswick House property no longer exists and modern housing now covers the site.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

  • Action For Children (formerly the National Children's Home) has an Access to Care service, which can provide their own records to individual who were adopted through the charity or who resided in one of its homes.
  • Action for Children's Genealogy Service deals with enquiries from relatives or decendants of those who were in the charity's Care.

Bibliography

  • Bradfield, William The Life of the Reverend Thomas Bowman Stephenson (1913, Kelly)
  • Curnock, Nehemiah The Story of the Children's Home (C.H. Kelly, 1901)
  • Horner, Francis Shadow and Sun (Epworth Press, 1920)
  • Howard, Philip J Philip: a Strange Child (Dalkeith Publishing, 2007)
  • Philpot, Terry Action For Children (Lion, 1994)
  • Walpole, Cecil F. Golden Links (Epworth Press, 1941)

Films