Stanley House, Newmarket, Suffolk

In July 1939, Stanley House on Snailwell Road, Newmarket, became a Barnardo's wartime evacuation centre. The mansion, owned by the Earl of Derby, housed up to eighty boys aged 7 to 15.

The home was closed in September 1946, with the boys — along with their superintendents Mr and Mrs Whitehorn — being transferred to the Horsington House at Templecombe in Somerset.

The property now belongs to Sheik Mohammed of Dubai and is home to the Godolphin stables.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
  • Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
  • Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
  • Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
  • Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)