Northampton Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Northampton Borough Council.
- Rawlings Nursery, 15 The Avenue, Dallington
- 1 St Alban's Close, Northampton
- 101 Newton Road, Northampton
- Northampton Union/Council Scattered Home, 15 Colwyn Road, Northampton*
- Northampton Union Receiving Home, 2 Watkin Terrace, Bailiff Street, Northampton*
- Northampton Union/Council Scattered Home, 21 Marriott Street, Northampton*
- 22-24 Evenley Road, Northampton
- Residential Nursery, 2-4 Ribble Close, Northampton
- Northampton Union/Council Scattered Home, 43 Semilong Road, Northampton*
- 91-93 Chalcombe Avenue, Northampton
- Northampton Union/Council Scattered Home, 95 St Michael's Road, Northampton*
- Lindfield,445 Wellingborough Road, Northampton
- Britten's Farm, Wheatfield Road South, Northampton
- Whiston Road, Kingsthorpe, Northampton
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Northampton Council homes may exist at:
- Northamptonshire Record Office, Wootton Hall Park, Northampton, Northants, NN4 8BQ.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.