Northampton Society's Reformatory for Girls, Northampton, Northamptonshire
The Northampton Society's Reformatory School for Girls was certified to begin operation on November 15th, 1871. Its premises at 57 St Giles' Street, Northampton, could accommodate 20 girls who were below the age of 14 at their date of admission. The superintendent was Miss Spivey, assisted by Miss Smith. The industrial training comprised needlework, housework and a little laundry work. Although the School received generally favourable reports, the premises were criticised as being too small, with no possibility of a proper laundry being set up.
On February 5th, 1877, the School moved to larger premises at 58 Abington Street, Northampton. Here, 24 girls could be accommodated and there was space to establish a good laundry. The industrial training was also expanded to include cookery and knitting. Miss Spivey remained as superintendent until 1880 when she was succeeded by Miss Highmoor. The other staff at this date were the schoolmistress, Miss King, and general assistant, Mrs Buckingham.
Due to a drop in the number of girls being placed at the School, it was closed at the end of September, 1886.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Northamptonshire Record Office, Wootton Hall Park, Northampton, Northants, NN4 8BQ. Holdings: Minute book (1871-72); Journal or log book (1873-80).
- Carpenter, Mary Reformatory Schools, for the Children of the Perishing and Dangerous Classes, and for Juvenile Offenders (1851, General Books; various reprints available)
- Carlebach, Julius Caring for Children in Trouble (1970, Routledge & Kegan Paul)
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Abel Smith, Doroth Crouchfield: A History of the Herts Training School 1857-1982 (2008, Able Publishing)
- Garnett, Emmeline Juvenile offenders in Victorian Lancashire: W J Garnnett and the Bleasdale Reformatory (2008, Regional Heritage Centre, Lancaster University)
- Hicks, J.D. The Yorkshire Catholic Reformatory, Market Weighton (1996, East Yorkshire Local History Society)
- Slocombe, Ivor Wiltshire Reformatory for Boys, Warminster, 1856-1924 (2005, Hobnob Press)
- Duckworth, J.S. The Hardwicke Reformatory School, Gloucestershire (in Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1995, Vol. 113, 151-165)
- Red Lodge Museum, Bristol — a former girls' reformatory.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.