Teichman House, Norwich, Norfolk

In January 1966, Barnardo's opened its Teichman House home for boys at 50 Sale Road on the Heartsease housing estate in Norwich. The home took its name from Sir Eric Teichman, the former owner of Honingham Hall where another of Barnardo's Norfolk homes had operated since the 1940s. With the closure of Honingham Hall at the end of 1965, its children were transferred to the more modern Teichman House premises.

In 1967, when the Westwood girls' home closed, its children also moved to Teichman House, from which point it was a mixed home before its closure in March 1971.

In more recent times, the building has been the headquarters of the Norwich and Central Norfolk branch of the charity 'Mind'.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
  • Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
  • Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
  • Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
  • Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)