Oxford Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Oxford Borough Council.
- 10 Winchester Road, Oxford
- Headlands / Fairview, 155 Windmill Road, Headington, Oxford
- Fairview, 157 Windmill Road, Headington, Oxford
- Warwick House, 258 Iffley Road, Oxford
- Maltfield House, 26 Maltfield Road, Northway Estate, Oxford
- 29 Leckford Road, Oxford
- Hernes House, 3 Hernes Crescent, Summertown, Oxford
- Slade House, 32-40 Fourth Avenue, Slade Park, Oxford
- Barton Homeless Families Unit, 49 Fettiplace Road, Barton Estate, Oxford
- Garden House Rehabilitation Centre, 60 Hollow Way, Cowley, Oxford
- Mother and Baby Hostel, 7 Clark's Row, St Aldates, Oxford
- Cotuit, Pullen's Lane, Headington, Oxford
- Denton House, Iffley Turn, Oxford
- Windmill House, Windmill Road, Headington, Oxford
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Oxford Council homes may exist at:
- Oxfordshire Record Office, St Luke's Church, Temple Road, Cowley, Oxford OX4 2EX.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.