Ladies' Association for the Care of Friendless Girls' Homes, Oxford, Oxfordshire
The Oxford branch of the Ladies' Association for the Care of Friendless Girls was founded in 1883 and operated a number of establishments in the city.
In 1833, a small home was set up at 31 Gloucester Green, attached to which was a Free Registry and Clothing Club.
By 1890, the Gloucester Green home had been replaced by the Temporary and Training Home for Friendless Girls, which admitted girls of any age requiring a temporary home or training for service. The Home had premises at 7 Church Street, St Ebbe's, Oxford. Destitute local cases were admitted free, while a payment of 3s. 6d. a week was required for girls whose parents were able to pay. The home had relocated to 102 Walton Street by 1895, to 29 Leckford Road by 1907, and was at 108 Woodstock Road by 1912.
In around 1899, the Association opened Hope Cottage at 57 Aston Street. It received single mothers, up to the age of 25, with their babies (first cases only). A weekly charge of 5s. was made for those from the Oxford Diocese, with others paying 7s. 6d. By 1902, the establishment had moved to 59 St John's Road, also known as the St Frideswide's Home, where it continued in operation until the 1920s.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None noted at present — any information welcome.
- Bartley, Paula Prostitution: Presevntion and Reform in England, 1860-1914 (2000, Routledge)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.