Nazareth House, Oxford, Oxfordshire

A Nazareth House was established in 1875 at the corner of Pembroke Street and 99 Cowley Road, Oxford, providing care for the aged poor and orphan and destitute children — primarily Roman Catholic girls.

Nazareth House site, Birmingham, c.1939.

The establishment continued to house the elderly until its closure in 1994. The site was then sold off and the old buildings demolished.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Nazareth House, 169-175 Hammersmith Road, London W6 8DB. The archivist is Christine Hughes. The archive contains material from the very beginnings of the order in the 1850s up until the present day. The archive is not open to the public and does not have facilities for personal searchers, although exceptions can be made for Sisters and for academic researchers. Enquiries are welcomed by post only for privacy and confidentiality reasons and replies are by also letter. There is no fee for dealing with enquiries, although donations to the Sisters are appreciated.

Census

Bibliography