St Agnes' Home, Pevensey Bay, Sussex

The St Agnes' Home was established by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1938 at Pebble Road, Pevensey Bay. It was used as a convalescent home for children with disabilities, replacing the St Agnes' Home in Croydon. The home was officially opened on June 30th, 1938.

The home was closed during the Second World War and the children evacuated to other branches.

The home closed in 1972, with the then residents being transferred to Harvey Goodwin House in Cambridge. In 1974, the home was re-opened briefly as a children's holiday home.

The property is now in private residential use.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.