Pishiobury School, Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire
In 1941, Northcotts, an Approved School formerly based at Walthamstow, relocated to new premises at Pishiobury Park, near Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, then becoming known as Pishiobury School. It could accommodate 81 Junior boys aged from 10 to 13 years.
In 1973, the School became a Community Home with Education (CHE) under the control of Hertfordshire County Council.
In more recent times, the building has been converted to office use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. (The Ancestry website also has LMA records relating to workhouses and other institutions — more details.)
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Hyland,Jim Yesterday's Answers: Yesterday's Answers: Development and Decline of Schools for Young Offenders (1993, Whiting and Birch)
- Millham, S, Bullock, R, and Cherrett, P After Grace — Teeth: a comparative study of the residential experience of boys in Approved Schools (1975, Chaucer Publishing)
- The Therapeutic Care Journal — has a number of articles relating to Approved Schools.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.