St Teresa's Orphanage, Plymouth, Devon

St Teresa's (or Theresa's) Orphanage for Roman Catholic Children was founded in 1875 and run by the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul. It was located at 20-22 Gasking Street, Plymouth, at the corner with Beaumont Road, which is sometimes given as its address.

On 26th October, 1883, St Teresa's was accredited as a Certified School allowing it to take children boarded out by the workhouse authorities. The home also received orphan and destitute children placed by friends and benefactors

St Teresa's was originally mixed but in 1889 the boys were transferred to new premises at Torquay and St Teresa's continued as a girls-only establishment. In 1897, it could accommodate 68 girls with a payment of £12 per annum required for each resident, or £10 per annum for those belonging to the Diocese of Plymouth.

The home closed in 1932 when its inmates were transferred to the new Nazareth House at Stonehouse. The Gasking Street building no longer exists.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography