Portsmouth Borough Council Homes

Children's establishments run by Portsmouth Borough Council.

  • Darby House Residential Nursery, Sunshine House, Clayhall Road, Alverstoke
  • Ker House Reception Centre, 12 Southwick Hill Road,, Cosham
  • Residential Nursery, 14 Southwick Hill Road, Cosham
  • Working Boys' Hostel, Loewood, 26 Sixth Avenue, Cosham
  • Children's Homes, Southwick Hill Road, Cosham
  • Deveron, 26 Catisfield Road, Fareham
  • Godbey House, 380 Seafront Road, Hayling Island
  • Portsea Island (Portsmouth) Union/Council Cottage Homes, 140 St Mary's Road, Portsea Island*
  • 121 Southampton Road, Portsmouth
  • 145 Kingsley Road, Portsmouth
  • 19 Chilgrove Road, Drayton, Portsmouth
  • 3 Lightfoot Lawn, Kingsley Road, Portsmouth
  • 4 Godiva Lawn, Kingsley Road, Portsmouth
  • 51 Seaway Crescent, Portsmouth
  • Working Girls' Hostel, Beechside, 235 Havant Road, Portsmouth
  • Glen House Remand Home, Glen Road, Sarisbury Green, Southampton
  • 3 Yarborough Road, Southsea
  • 83 Gains Road, Southsea
  • 7 Jubilee Road, Waterlooville

* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.


Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.

Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.

Older material relating to Portsmouth Council homes may exist at:

Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.