Boys' Orphan Home (Mr Fegan's), Deptford, London

In 1881, James Fegan established a home at Ramsgate in Kent for orphan and destitute boys who would benefit from its seaside air. The home's original location in some ramshackle buildings at Hereson which were given the name Southwark House. A general joke was that to reach it, you went as far as 'The North pole' (a public house with that name) and turned to the right.

The subsequently moved to a former school building at 175-177 High Street, Ramsgate, which Fegan acquired at a bargain price. The property had its own small meadow and was conveniently situated near the then railway station. The home, which was also known as Ramsgate Orphanage, could accommodate up to 80 boys aged from 5 to 12 years.

The home is believed to have closed in the 1920s. Its High Street premises still exist, now in private residential use.

Other homes run by Fegan were located at Deptford, Greenwich, Southwark, Stony Stratford, Westminster, Goudhurst and Toronto.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography