Florence Anderson House Home / East Court Nursery, Ramsgate, Kent

The Florence Anderson House Home (more usually known as East Court Nursery) was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1953. It was located in East Court, a house on Victoria Parade, Ramsgate, whose purchase had been made possible by money bequeathed for charitable use by local benefactor Florence Anderson. The official opening in 1954 was carried out by the Duchess of Gloucester, with the dedication ceremony being performed by the Bishop of Dover.

The home provided accommodation for 24 children aged from 2 months to 2 years. Its first residents came from the Davidson Nursery at Broadstairs which was being closed.

East Court, Ramsgate, c.2010.

In 1971, the closure of the Ellendeane Home at Bexhill brought 15 older children to East Court, making it one of the Society's growing number of 'all-range' homes.

The home closed in 1982. The property was then occupied by the East Court School for dyslexic boys.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.