LCC Duxhurst Girls' Reformatory, Reigate, Surrey

On March 15, 1917, the London County Council formally began operation of a Reformatory School in premises at Duxhurst Lane, Reigate. The School could accommodate up 12 girls, aged from 14 to 16 years. It was superintended by Lady Henry Somerset who had founded a residential colony for inebriates at Duxhurst.

In November, 1914, the establishment was relocated to new premises at Duxhurst, known as St Ursula's Cottage and St Bridget's Cottage, where up to 24 girls could be housed. The School was also occasionally referred to as the Home of the Holy Redeemer.

Initially, the School's certificate was intended to expire three months after the end of the First World War. However, the School remained in operation until August, 1921.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.

Bibliography

  • None noted at present.