Richmond upon Thames London Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Richmond upon Thames London Borough Council.
- Residential Nursery, 40 Cambridge Park, East Twickenham†
- 18 St James' Avenue, Hampton Hill†
- 37 Grafton Close, Hanworth Road, Hounslow
- 40 Teddington Park, Teddington†
- 44 Princes Road, Teddington†
- 23 Campbell Road, Twickenham
- Lanarth, Heatherley Road, Camberley
- Richmond Union/Council Receiving Home, Parkshot, Richmond
† indicates homes previously run by a county council.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Richmond upon Thames Council homes may exist at:
- Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 6ND.
- Richmond Local Studies Library, Old Town Hall, Whittaker Avenue, Richmond TW9 1TP.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.