Ripon Industrial Home for Girls, Ripon, West Riding of Yorkshire
The Ripon Industrial Home for Girls (the "Industrial" was later dropped) was founded in 1862 and had premises at 33 Bondgate, Ripon. It provided accommodation for up to 40 girls between the ages of 9 and 16 who were "poor children of good character, especially those who are motherless". The cost of a place in the home was £11 a year.
The location of the home is shown on the 1891 map below. It had a long frontage along the west side of Bondgate with a large garden to its rear.
In the 1920s, the home relocated to a property known as West Mount on Kirkby Road, Ripon. n 1935, West Mount was taken over as a Barnardo's 'Ever Open Door'.
Neither the Bondgate nor the Kirkby Road buildings survive.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.