Rotherham Borough Council Homes

Children's establishments run by Rotherham Borough Council.

  • 1 Treefield Crescent, Rotherham
  • Westgate Home, 121 Westgate, Rotherham
  • Home for Working Boys, 148 Fitzwilliam Road, Rotherham
  • Fitzwilliam Home, 148-152 Fitzwilliam Road, Rotherham
  • Canklow Road Home, 150 Canklow Road, Rotherham
  • 17 West Close, Rotherham
  • 18 Wood Road, Rotherham
  • 27 Goldsmith Road, Rotherham
  • Rotherham Union/Council Scattered Home, 37 St Ann's Road, Rotherham*
  • Canklow Road Home, 50-52 Canklow Road, Rotherham
  • 60 Studmoor Road, Rotherham
  • 92 Creswick Road, Rotherham
  • Central Home, Easthill, Doncaster Road, Rotherham
  • Fairhurst, Clifton Crescent South, Rotherham
  • Lindum House, 20 Lindum Terrace, Doncaster Road, Rotherham
  • Moorgate House, Moorgate, Rotherham
  • Wallhead Grange Residential Nursery, Munsbrough Lane, Rotherham
  • Oaklea, 104 Clough Road, Rotherham
  • Residential Nursery, Oakwood Grange, Moorgate, Rotherham
  • Park Mount, Clifton Lane, Rotherham
  • St Ann's, 35 St Ann's Road, Rotherham*

* indicates link to pages on


Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.

Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.

Older material relating to Rotherham Council homes may exist at:

Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.