St Joseph's Roman Catholic Boys' Home, Sambourne, Warwickshire
St Joseph's Roman Catholic Home for Boys was established in 1924 at Sambourne, near Studley, Warwickshire. It acted as a branch home of the Besford Court School for 'mentally defective' boys. In July, 1925, St Joseph's was formally certified as an Industrial School, allowing it to receive boys placed under detention by the courts. The arrangement continued after Besford Court became an Approved School in 1933.
The Home was still in operation in the 1970s.
Parts of the institution's buildings survive in the modern housing development on the site, Sambourne Park.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Birmingham Archdiocesan Archives, Cathedral House, St Chad's Queensway, Birmingham B4 6EU. Holdings include Admissions registers and Log books.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.