Shelton House, Shrewsbury, Shropshire

In August 1945, Barnardo's opened Shelton House, a nursery and home for small children, at The Mount, Bicton Heath, near Shrewsbury.

The location of the home is shown on the 1963 map below.

Shelton House site, Bicton Heath, c.1963.

From 1972 until its closure in 1977, Shelton house was used as a home for older boys and girls.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
  • Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
  • Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
  • Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
  • Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)