Shropshire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Shropshire County Council.
- Cruckton Hall Nursery, Hanwood
- The Quinta School for Boys, Weston Rhyn, Oswestry
- Besford House Children's Home, 42 Trinity Street, Shrewsbury
- Audley Avenue, Shrewsbury
- Atcham & Shrewsbury Union Scattered Home, Besford House, Trinity Street, Shrewsbury*
- Sutton Lodge Children's Home, Betton Street, Shrewsbury
- Atcham & Shrewsbury Union Scattered Home, Pen-y-Bont, Betton Street, Shrewsbury*
- Boreatton Park School, Baschurch, Shrewsbury
- Flora Dugdale Nursery, 27 Wrockwardine Road, Wellington
- Highfield House Children's Home, 47 Wrekin Road, Wellington
- The Mount Children's Home, Haygate Road, Wellington
- Wellington Union / Shropshire Council Home, The Mount, Haygate Road, Wellington*
- The Vineyard Children's Home, The Vineyard, Wellington
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Shropshire Council homes may exist at:
- Shropshire Archives, Castle Gates, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY1 2AQ. Please note that records may contain gaps or have access restrictions - please check before visiting.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.