R.A.O.B. Orphanage / Remand Home / Boys' Reception Home, Southborough, Kent
In August 1924, the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes — a British charitable fraternity dating from 1822 — opened an orphanage at Park House, 24 Park Road, Southborough.
The home closed in 1943 when the site were purchased by Kent County Council for use as a Remand Home. From 1954, the premises served as a reception home for boys coming into council care. The establishment finally closed in 1981. The building no longer survives and the site is now covered by modern housing.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.