Jones Memorial Home, Southport, Lancashire

The Jones Memorial Home for "crippled and incurable children" was opened in September 1894 at 16-18 Trafalgar Road, Birkdale, near Southport. The property had been donated to Barnardo's in memory of E.H. Jones (a leading figure in the Liverpool branch of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) by F.H. and J.W. Jones. The home originally provided accommodation for 24 children aged 6 to 13. By the 1930s, up to 60 children could be housed.

The location of the home is shown on the 1928 map below.

Jones Memorial Home site, Southport, c.1928.

Thomas Barnardo paid great attention to the fitting-out of the home, specifying that the cots had springs and moveable sides. His elder brother, Dr A.E. (Fred) Barnardo was appointed as the home's honorary physician. In contrast to the usual practice in Barnardo's homes, boys and girls were allowed to be nursed together.

The home closed in 1945. The buildings no longer survive and modern housing now occupies the site.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
  • Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
  • Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
  • Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
  • Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)