Ormerod Convalescent Home for Children and Orphanage, St Annes on Sea, Lancashire
The Ormerod Convalescent Home for Children was established in 1890 at Todmorden Road, St Annes on Sea, Lancashire. Its construction was funded by the two daughters of the late Mr. Abraham Ormerod, a wealthy cotton manufacturer, of Todmorden. The Home was opened on September 13th, 1890, by Lady Eleanor Cicely Clifton.
The Home was run by the Community of the Sisters of the Church, an Anglican sisterhood of nuns sometimes referred to as the Kilburn Order, in conjunction with the Church Extension Association, who operated a number of other institutions.
The Ormerod Home had 110 beds and provided convalescent care for poor children, mainly from Lancashire and Yorkshire. The first three weeks of any stay were free, with a weekly payment required thereafter. Girls were accepted up to the age of 14 and boys up to the age of 11.
During the Second World War, the Home provided accommodation for evacuees from London.
The Home closed in 1971 and the premises were then rented to the newly formed Ormerod Trust to provided a resource for children with learning disabilities.
The old buildings were demolished in 1984 and modern housing now occupies the site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Community of the Sisters of the Church holds records for homes run by the Order. Enquiries should be directed to: The Community Archivist, Community of the Sisters of the Church, 10 Furness Road, West Harrow, Middlesex HA2 0RL.
- Anonymous, A Valiant Victorian: The Life and Times of Mother Emily Ayckbowm 1830-1900 of the Community of the Sisters of the Church (1964, A. R. Mowbray & Co. Ltd., London)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.