London Female Preventive and Reformatory Institution, St Pancras, London
In around 1871, the London Female Preventive and Reformatory Institution (LFPRI) opened a home for "friendless young women, and servants of good character when out of place" at 195 Hampstead Road, St Pancras, London NW1. It could accommodate 16 inmates, aged from 15 to 25. Its opening was made possible by a lady who offered the sum of £50 on condition that the Committee such a home which, unlike most of the Society's other establishments, was not aimed at 'fallen' young women.
By 1912, the establishment had relocated to new premises at New Southgate.
The Hampstead Road buildings no longer survive.
After the Second World War, LFPRI changed its name to the London Haven for Women and Girls. The organisation was wound up in 1976, with its remaining assets being passed to the Rainer Foundation which later became part of Catch22.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Galleries of Justice, Wolfson Study Centre, The Shire Hall, Lace Market, Nottingham NG1 1HN. Holds Rainer Foundation archives which include LFPRI material.
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. (The Ancestry website also has LMA records relating to workhouses and other institutions — more details.) Has some records from 200 Euston Road (1907-47). The LMA catalogue notes "previous papers in parcel now missing".
- Thomas, E.W. Twenty-Five Years' Labour Among the Friendless and Fallen (1897)
- Taylor, W.J. The Story of the Homes (1907)
- Bartley, Paula Prostitution: Prevention and Reform in England, 1860-1914 (2000, Routledge)
- Finnegan, Frances Poverty and Prostitution: A Study of Victorian Prostitutes in York (1979, CUP)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.