East Suffolk County Council Homes
Children's establishments run (at some time in their history) by East Suffolk County Council.
- Suffolk Kerrison Reformatory School for Boys, Stoke Road, Thorndon, Eye
- Woodbridge Union / Suffolk Council Home, Grundisburgh*
- Blything Union / Suffolk Council Cottage Homes, Hope House, Halesworth*
- 23 Tuddenham Road, Ipswich
- 38 Anglesea Road, Ipswich
- 68 Surbiton Road, Ipswich
- 9 Oban Street, Ipswich
- Beacon Hill, Stone Lodge Lane West, Ipswich
- Oak Cottage, 54 Crabbe Street, Ipswich
- Evelyn Fison Lodge, Sprites Lane, Ipswich
- Tonquedec, Stone Lodge Lane West, Ipswich
- Mutford & Lothingland Union / East Suffolk Council Home, Primrose Villa, 52 Acton Road, Kirkley*
- East Suffolk Council Boys' Homes, Ashley Downs, Somerton Avenue, Lowestoft
- Chesterfield House, Pakefield Road, Lowestoft
- Bosmere & Claydon Union / Suffolk Council Home, Hurstlea, 131 High Street, Needham Market*
- St Osyth, Bridge Road, Oulton Broad
- Southwood Cottage, Southwold
- Stow Union / Suffolk Council Home, Hill House (later Eastward Ho), Violet Hill Road, Stowmarket*
- Sunnyside Nursery, Stowmarket
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
The involvement of local authorities in the running of children's homes dates from 1930, when they took over the running of the poor relief system previously administered by Boards of Guardians. Surviving records for council-run children's homes may be held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Locating local authority records has been complicated by the various local government reorganizations that have taken place in recent times, such as the abolition of the London County Council in 1965, and the major nationwide restructuring in 1974 in which many administrative areas were created, amended or eliminated.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these repositories have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to East Suffolk Council homes may exist at:
- Suffolk Record Office, Gatacre Road, Ipswich IP1 2LQ.
- Suffolk Record Office, Central Library, Clapham Road, Lowestoft NR32 1DR.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
- Cooke, Allan Institutionalized in a Children's Home: Skellow Hall 1950-1963 — a true story of a child and children in a home (2012, Authorhouse)
- Cummings, Les Forgotten: The Heartrending Story of Life in a Children's Home
- Limbrick, Gudrun The Children of the Homes: a century of Erdington Cottage Homes
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.