Mumbles Home for Girls, Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales

In 1885, the Waifs and Strays Society established an Industrial School for girls at Mountview, 53 Overland Road, The Mumbles, Oystermouth, near Swansea. The establishment, variously known as 'Swansea Girls' Home' and 'The Mumbles Home for Girls' was formally certified for operation on June 13th, 1885, with accommodation for 20 girls aged from 7 to 15 years. The Home was officially opened by the Bishop of St David's on July 1st, 1885.

Mumbles Home for Girls, Swansea, 1884. © Peter Higginbotham

The Home could accommodate 25 girls aged from 7 to 15. The ground floor of the house included school rooms, kitchen, pantry, scullery and a bathroom. On the first floor were a sewing-room and the sitting-room of the matron, Miss Langley. The top floor contained eight small dormitories.

Mumbles Home for Girls, Swansea, 1894. © Peter Higginbotham

Mumbles Home for Girls, Swansea, 1894. © Peter Higginbotham

The Home closed in 1902. The property is now a private residence.

Former Mumbles Home for Girls, Swansea, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.