Knotley Hall School for Boys, Chiddingstone Causeway, near Tonbridge, Kent
In 1937, the Children's Aid Society (CAS) established an Approved School for Junior Boys at Knotley Hall, Chiddingstone Causeway, near Tonbridge. The School could accommodate up 64 boys who were under the age of 15 at their date of admission.
During the Second World War, the School was evacuated to Graiglwyd Hall, Penmaenmawr, in North Wales.
After the CAS was taken over by Barnardo's in 1966, the establishment continued in operation under the name Knotley House School. In 1973, it was redesignated as a Community Home with Education (CHE) under the control of Kent County Council.
The School is believed to have closed in around 1991. The property is now in private residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- The records of the Children's Aid Society were inherited by Barnardo's. Barnardo's Family History Service deals with enquiries regarding records of individual children — various services are available costing from £15 upwards.
Making Connections — a service for those wishing to access their Barnardo's adoption records.
- Barnardo's historical administrative records are now deposited with Liverpool University's Social Welfare Archives with stringent restrictions on their access.
- The Children's Aid Society: its work and its aims. (1938)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.