Farley Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

In 1887, Barnardo's opened its new Canadian base at 214 Farley Avenue, Toronto. As well as offices, the building acted as a reception home, providing temporary initial accommodation for boys from Barnardo's homes in Britain emigrating to Canada, until they were placed with families or employers.

214 Farley Avenue, Toronto, c.1890. © Peter Higginbotham

The home closed in around 1909 and transferred to new premises at Peter Street, Toronto. The Farley Street premises may have subsequently been used as a maternity home for unmarried Barnardo girls, previously accommodated at a property on Bathurst Street.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography