538 Jarvis Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

In 1922, Barnardo's Canadian headquarters in Toronto, previously at 50-52 Peter Street, moved to new premises at 538 Jarvis Street, Toronto. The building, a large old mansion, bought for $90,000, was managed by John W Hobday and his wife, Rose.

During the Second World War, the building was used by the Church Army. In around 1948, Barnardo's moved to new premises on Spadina Road. The Jarvis Street property was sold (for less than Barnardo's had paid for it) to the Salvation Army who occupied it until 1956. It was demolished the following year as part of a major redevelopment of the area.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography