St Edward's School for Roman Catholic Girls, Totteridge, Hertfordshire
The St Edward's School for Roman Catholic Girls was established in 1887 and occupied premises at Totteridge Lane, Totteridge, Hertfordshire. On 16 August of the year, the establishment was accredited as a Certified School, allowing it to receive girls boarded out by the workhouse authorities. The school could accommodate up to 200 girls, aged 3-14 at their date of admission.
In 1912, a weekly payment of 6s. was required for each girl placed at the school. The superintendent at that date was Sister Mary Noilie.
In 1958, the premises became home to St Edward's College, a training establishment for missionaries. It closed in 2006.
The buildings no longer survive and housing now covers the site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Certified Schools were run by a wide range of groups and individuals and have no central records. However, relevant information may survive in the records of the Poor Law Union that placed each child at a particular establishment. The best place to start is the union covering the area where the child previously resided, although children were sometimes sent further afield.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.