Tower Hamlets London Borough Council Homes

Children's establishments run by Tower Hamlets London Borough Council.


  • Family Group Home, 188 Timberlog Lane, Basildon
  • Family Group Home, 24 The Greensted, Basildon
  • Family Group Home, 26 Sandon Road, Basildon
  • Family Group Home, 3 Maplin Gardens, Basildon
  • Family Group Home, 34 Linford Drive, Basildon
  • Family Group Home, 42 The Greensted, Basildon
  • Oranmore, 126 Manor Road, Chigwell
  • 57 Main Road, Gidea Park
  • Family Group Home, 112 Priory Road, Harold Hill
  • Family Group Home, 2 Wincanton Road, Harold Hill
  • Family Group Home, 43 Priory Road, Harold Hill
  • Family Group Home, 44 Wincanton Road, Harold Hill
  • Family Group Home, 50 Priory Road, Harold Hill
  • Family Group Home, 86 Priory Road, Harold Hill
  • St Leonard's, 117 Hornchurch Road, Hornchurch*
  • Kingsthorpe, 1 The Green, Monkhams Avenue, Woodford Green


  • Castlehurst, 37 Tankerton Road, Whitstable

London (E/EC Postal Areas)

  • 1 Nelson Gardens, Bethnal Green
  • 82 Russia Lane, Bethnal Green
  • Edward Smith House, 60 William Guy Gardens, Bow
  • Dave Adams House, 12 Norman Grove, Mile End
  • 3 Forth House, 123 Tredegar Road, Mile End
  • 38 Wager Street, Mile End
  • Charles Key Lodge, 40 Southern Grove, Mile End
  • Tilburg House, 49-59 Cranbrook Street, Mile End
  • Windermere House, 74 Eric Street, Mile End
  • Hamlets Way, Mile End
  • Langley House Reception Home, 54 East India Dock Road, Poplar†
  • Family Group Home, 22 Northumberland Avenue, Wanstead
  • Hostel, 21 Frobisher House, Raerdon Street, Wapping
  • Hannah Long House, 23 Swedenborg Gardens, Crowder Street, Whitechapel

* indicates link to pages on
† indicates homes previously run by a county council.


Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.

Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.

Older material relating to Tower Hamlets Council homes may exist at:

Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.