St Mark's Nursery Home for Girls, Tregarth, Carnarvonshire, Wales

St Mark's Nursery Home for Girls was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1893 at Sling, near Tregarth, Carnarvonshire. The Home's original premises, a cottage with just three rooms upstairs and three downstairs, accommodated just 6 girls aged from six months to five years.

St Mark's Nursery Home for Girls, Tregarth, 1893. © Peter Higginbotham

In December, 1896, the Home moved into a larger property near St Mary's Church, Tregarth, where it could house up to 12 girls aged from three to eleven. In 1898, the Home's name was changed to St Mark's Home for Girls.

St Mark's Home for Girls, Tregarth, c.1920. © Peter Higginbotham

The Home was operated as a feeder home for the Society's St Mark's Home for Girls in Carnarvon. When girls at Tregarth reached the age of 11, they were transferred to the Carnarvon home to be trained for a future as domestic servants.

St Mark's Home for Girls, Tregarth, c.1921. © Peter Higginbotham

The Tregarth home closed in 1921. The property is now a private residence.

Former St Mark's Home for Girls, Tregarth.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.