Wallasey Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run (at some point in their history) by Wallasey Borough Council.
- Birkenhead Union Scattered Home / Wallsey Council Receiving Home, 59 Albion Street, Wallasey*
- Birkenhead Union Scattered Home, 66 Falkland Road, Wallasey*
- Residential Nursery (later Children's Home), 7 Salisbury Road, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 78 Union Street, Egremont, Wallasey
- 150 Edgehill Road, Moreton, Wirral
- 35 Curlew Way, Moreton, Wirral
- 46 Shackleton Road, Leasowe, Moreton, Wirral
- Wimbrick Hey Reception and Assessment Centre, 61-63 Burnley Road, Moreton, Wirral
- Overchurch Children's Home, Moreton Road, Wirral
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
The involvement of local authorities in the running of children's homes dates from 1930, when they took over the running of the poor relief system previously administered by Boards of Guardians. Surviving records for council-run children's homes may be held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Locating local authority records has been complicated by the various local government reorganizations that have taken place in recent times, such as the abolition of the London County Council in 1965, and the major nationwide restructuring in 1974 in which many administrative areas were created, amended or eliminated.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these repositories have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Wallasey Council homes may exist at:
- Wirral Archives, Cheshire Lines Building, Canning Street, Birkenhead CH41 1ND.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
- Cooke, Allan Institutionalized in a Children's Home: Skellow Hall 1950-1963 — a true story of a child and children in a home (2012, Authorhouse)
- Cummings, Les Forgotten: The Heartrending Story of Life in a Children's Home
- Limbrick, Gudrun The Children of the Homes: a century of Erdington Cottage Homes
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.