Waltham Forest London Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Waltham Forest London Borough Council.
- West Lodge, 32 Palmerston Road, Buckhurst Hill
- Coopersale Children's Homes, 1-4 Forest Side, Coopersale, Epping
- Rowney Bury Nursery, Harlow Road, Sawbridgeworth, Harlow
- 22 Bisterne Avenue, Walthamstow
London (E/EC Postal Areas)
- 6/8 Oliver Road, Leyton
- Cedra Lawn Nursery, 92 Leyton Green Road, Leyton
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Waltham Forest Council homes may exist at:
- Waltham Forest Archives, Vestry House Museum, Vestry Road, Walthamstow, London E17 9NH.
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. (The Ancestry website also has LMA records relating to workhouses and other institutions — more details.)
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.